Sunday, August 26, 2012

Day 13 - The End

For our last day of the trip we headed to the Penn campus to walk around and reminisce.  From the hotel I drove to campus via Walnut to look for a parking spot.  When there were none available, I decided to head to Spruce, only to find out that Spruce was closed due to freshmen moving into the Quad.  I could have merely pointed towards Ethan and said we were moving in, but I didn't so I turned around and ended up parking at 37th and Chestnut.  From there we walked towards Locust Walk where our first stop was the obligatory picture with Ben Franklin.

The 4,956th picture of the kids with Ben
(You will note that I am now able to embed photos into the blog because I am typing this on my home PC which has a more up to date browser.  Debbie wants me to go back and embed some photos, which if I have time I guess I will do, but you are not required to go back and re-read the whole trip blog, in case you were wondering.)

We then walked down Locust Walk towards the Library and Button (for another required photo op) only to find that the button was undergoing some sort of renovations, so no photo op today.  In fact, much of the campus seemed to be undergoing some sort of renovation.  Many buildings had scaffolding or other construction equipment.  Too bad they couldn't have finished what they are doing before the students arrived.  Anyway, instead of the Button Debbie and I located our respective Ivy Day plaques and then we went into Houston Hall.  It was hard to recognize Houston Hall as we knew it, as it has undergone a substantial renovation. 

Judd's Ivy Day Plaque (well, not only Judd's - Class of 1989)
And Debbie's

From Houston Hall we continued walking down the campus to the Palestra.  We walked in the front door and asked if we could go to the court and the guard said sure, so down we went.


I'll take The Palestra over the Dean Dome
or Cameron Indoor any day
After the Palestra we walked next door to Franklin Field to see if we could get onto the field.  We walked in one door and were told that the field was closed on the weekend.  So we decided to head towards Spruce and walk back up that way.  But upon turning the corner on 34th Street, I noticed the entrance to the field where we used to enter for intramural games.  I walked up to the gate and it was wide open, so in we went, where the kids ran on the track and on the field.
 
Not exactly the Penn Relays

Hike
After Franklin Field we went and checked out the new Penn Park.  It is quite a nice series of sports fields, which I am sure will get a lot of use.  They are a little far from campus, so as 40+ year olds we thought it would be too far to walk to go play, but we figured that 18-22 year olds would not feel the same way.
 
We then walked up Spruce and, not surprisingly, were unable to get into the Quad today, so instead we headed to Walnut for what became "Get Your Wish for Lunch Day."  Brian had been busting our chops for days that he wanted to go to a Chipotle (both in Washington and Philly), but we resisted.  Every time we were at a ballpark Debbie asked if there was a Jimmy John's (so she could get her "unwhich" concoction) and Amanda had seen signs for Bobby's Burger Palace and was naturally in love.  So as luck and progress would have it all three of these chains are right next to each other on the renovated block on Walnut between 39th & 40th.  After my 3rd failed attempt to get into the Sammy house everyone got their wish.  That is, except for me, who left Philly without one side order of cheese fries.  Oh the humanity.  I gave Ethan and Brian $20 to go to Chipotle, Debbie went off to Jimmy John's and Amanda and I went in for burgers, where Debbie joined us with her lunch.  After everyone was satisfied with their lunch (again, other than me) it was time to leave Dear Old Penn and head home.
 
Due to traffic approaching the GW Bridge (and a few bathroom breaks) the trip home took almost 4 hours, but after just more than 1,400 miles, 1,071 photos, 4 colleges (Duke, UNC, Eastern, Penn) and a ton of calories, home we got at around 5:30.  Now the reality kicks in with piles of laundry and piles of work, but it was worth it.  This trip was definitely different than the first two - much less action (and fewer truly funny situations) and much more looking and learning.  I definitely don't think the kids appreciated all of the looking and learning at this time, but I think they will later.  We saw a lot of historical things this trip, things they will learn about (or have learned about) in school.  That can't be a bad thing.  I have no idea what next year's adventure will be right now, although Brian has suggested going way out of the box and heading west (via plane) then renting a minivan out there and exploring the other side of the country for a few weeks.  We'll see.  Until then...

No comments: