Thursday, August 26, 2010

Day 10 - If You Build It, The Volks Will Come

[Warning, this will be a relatively short blog post, and probably not very funny. The day was basically uneventful, other than the first activity. You may now proceed.]

Today was Field of Dreams day. We awoke in beautiful downtown Dyersville to a gourmet breakfast at the hotel (being nice), and headed over the Field of Dreams Movie Site around 11. It was just as it looked in the movie. There is no admission fee, no commercialization and just a souvenir stand selling reasonable priced stuff (t-shirt for $15, etc.). When we arrived there was one other family on the field, so we joined them for some batting practice. It was a blast playing and hitting on the field, and all of us got into the action. [having photo upload issues now, so pictures may have to follow]

When we finished batting practice, we headed out into left field to check out the "magical" corn. All of us then disappeared into the corn (the kids disappeared a lot further than they needed to), and then we went back to the area near the house (you can't go in the house, it's for family and employees only) for some more pictures and to buy some stuff. The boys and I got t-shirts and Amanda got a key chain. Evidently, she has a large collection. I think she is up to 5, counting the 4 she has gotten on this trip.



Before we left, I made each kid come with me near home plate, and one at a time they said to me "Hey Dad, wanna have a catch?" And I would reply, "I'd like that." And then I had a little catch with each of them. It was a great moment, for me anyway. The kids kind of went through the motions, but it's the thought that counts.

We then headed off on a typical Iowa dirt road to head to the Chicago area. For lunch we stopped in idyllic Dubuque for another rousing meal, this time at Ground Round. I think we peaked food-wise in the early part of the trip. Although I do have high hopes for Chicago.

Chicago will be the longest stay in one place. We are actually staying in Glencoe, north of the city, at my Aunt Marti and Uncle John's house. And we hope to be seeing my cousin Gary and family sometime over the weekend. After resting a while at their house tonight, we headed to a very good sandwich restaurant, where good food was had by all.

Not sure what we are doing in Chicago yet, although I do know that the tour will start with a quick trip to one of Debbie's vendors, Pen At Hand. Now we can write off the whole trip. After that we will have to figure it out. Maybe we will do a tour of Wrigley tomorrow.

[Told you it would be short and pretty dry. I'll try to do better tomorrow.]

1 comment:

eve said...

luv ya - mom fishman
(short, but not dry)