Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Random Thoughts/Comments/Stories Before I Forget

Random Thoughts/Comments/Stories Before I Forget

Just some random thoughts and stories on the trip, before the food makes my mind go mush:

  • Since when is bacon a staple food? We stopped at a Quisnos early on and every single thing on the menu, other than the Caesar Salad, had bacon on it.
  • The GPS is one of mankind's greatest inventions. Not as good as a store that sells pie a la mode by the slice, but right up there. Could not do the trip without it.
  • This country has a lot of farm land.
  • Based on the number of billboard signs on the highways, if there are two things Southerners like it's Fireworks and Adult Superstores. My guess is there is quite an overlap in the customer base on these places.
  • In Memphis, for dinner Ethan ordered a bowl of chili with tamales. That led to my inevitable joke, "What's the weather forecast tomorrow? Chili today Hot Tamale." The boys chuckled (likely out of respect), and about 5 minutes later, out of nowhere Amanda starts laughing and says "Oh, I get it, Chili today Hot Tamale, like chilly today and hot tomorrow." She has been saying it since.
  • Dasani, Aquafina and Poland Spring are not big sellers outside of the northeast.
  • When traveling with kids (boys more specifically) the car can start to smell like a [locker room/fraternity house - choose your favorite stinky place], especially after Southern meals.
  • I don't think I have hit a toll road since I left Pennsylvania.
  • I am guessing most families don't travel with their own laundry drying racks.

2 comments:

eve said...

laughing really loud - luv ya - mom fishman

Unknown said...

I think you are in the "midwest", not the south.